Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
Also Known As
Die Setter, Fabrication Operator, Machine Operator, Machine Setter, Press Operator, Punch Press Operator, Saw Operator, Set-Up Operator, Slitter Operator
- Measure dimensions of completed products or workpieces to verify conformance to specifications.
- Inspect metal, plastic, or composite products.
- Sort materials or products for processing, storing, shipping, or grading.
- Set equipment guides, stops, spacers, or other fixtures.
- Operate cutting equipment.
- Monitor equipment operation to ensure that products are not flawed.
- Record operational or production data.
- Inspect production equipment.
- Mount attachments or tools onto production equipment.
- Review blueprints or other instructions to determine operational methods or sequences.
- Read work orders or other instructions to determine product specifications or materials requirements.
- Align parts or workpieces to ensure proper assembly.
- Mount materials or workpieces onto production equipment.
- Load materials into production equipment.
- Operate metal or plastic forming equipment.
- Clean production equipment.
- Lubricate production equipment.
- Mark products, workpieces, or equipment with identifying information.
- Set equipment controls to meet cutting specifications.
- Draw guide lines or markings on materials or workpieces using patterns or other references.
- Clean work areas.
- Plan production or operational procedures or sequences.
- Adjust equipment controls to regulate coolant flow.
- Feed materials or products into or through equipment.
- Operate forklifts or other loaders.
- Smooth metal surfaces or edges.
- Operate grinding equipment.
- Disassemble equipment for maintenance or repair.
- Remove accessories, tools, or other parts from equipment.
- Replace worn equipment components.
- Apply lubricants or coolants to workpieces.
- Select production equipment according to product specifications.
- Cut industrial materials in preparation for fabrication or processing.
- Heat material or workpieces to prepare for or complete production.
- Sharpen cutting or grinding tools.
- Operations Monitoring – Watching gauges, dials, or display screens to make sure a machine is working.
- Operation and Control – Using equipment or systems.
- Education: High School Diploma or Equal
- Experience: None
- Training: 1 to 12 Months - On The Job
- Mechanical – Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness – Keeping your arm or hand steady.
- Control Precision – Quickly changing the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat.
- Near Vision – Seeing details up close.
- Reaction Time – Quickly moving your hand, finger, or foot based on a sound, light, picture or other command.
- Manual Dexterity – Holding or moving items with your hands.
- Problem Sensitivity – Noticing when problems happen.
Clicking on a link below will provide you with a list of associated and presorted companies for this current pathway by their industry term.
- Aircraft Engine and Parts Manufacturing
- Aircraft Manufacturing
- Audio and Video Equipment Manufacturing
- Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- Computer and Peripheral Equipment Manufacturing
- Construction Machinery Manufacturing
- Electrical Equipment and Appliances Manufacturing
- Electromedical and Control Instruments Manufacturing
- Furniture Manufacturing
- Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Manufacturing
- Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing
- Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Metal Products Manufacturing
- Miscellaneous Manufacturing
- Miscellaneous Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Motor Vehicle Manufacturing
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
- Rubber and Plastic Product Manufacturing
- Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- Ship and Boat Building
- Weapons and Ammunition Manufacturing
- Wood Product Manufacturing
Pathway Job Market and Predictions - ConnecticutFuture Job Opportunities: Below Average
Annual Projected Job Openings
Annual Projected Job Openings