Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of a building in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; HVAC maintenance; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
Also Known As
Building Mechanic, Equipment Engineering Technician, Facilities Technician, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Journeyman, Maintenance Man, Maintenance Mechanic, Maintenance Specialist, Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Worker
- Replace worn, damaged, or defective mechanical parts.
- Inspect mechanical components of vehicles to identify problems.
- Inspect mechanical equipment to locate damage, defects, or wear.
- Test mechanical equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Adjust equipment to ensure optimal performance.
- Order materials, supplies, or equipment.
- Maintain work equipment or machinery.
- Install machine or equipment replacement parts.
- Troubleshoot equipment or systems operation problems.
- Read technical information needed to perform maintenance or repairs.
- Develop equipment or component configurations.
- Test fluids to identify contamination or other problems.
- Assemble electrical components, subsystems, or systems.
- Install electrical components, equipment, or systems.
- Repair electrical circuits or wiring.
- Clean equipment, parts, or tools to repair or maintain them in good working order.
- Lubricate equipment to allow proper functioning.
- Perform manual agricultural, aquacultural, or horticultural tasks.
- Remove snow.
- Record information about parts, materials or repair procedures.
- Align equipment or machinery.
- Estimate costs for labor or materials.
- Operate welding equipment.
- Disassemble equipment for maintenance or repair.
- Operate cranes, hoists, or other moving or lifting equipment.
- Measure distances or dimensions.
- Lay out work according to specifications.
- Plan work procedures.
- Install energy-efficient heating, ventilation, or air conditioning (HVAC) equipment.
- Assemble mechanical components or machine parts.
- Fabricate parts or components.
- Clean work areas.
- Train others in operational procedures.
- Supervise employees.
- Repair structural components.
- Assemble structural components.
- Paint surfaces or equipment.
- Install insulation in equipment or structures.
- Grind parts to required dimensions.
- Repairing – Repairing machines or systems using the right tools.
- Equipment Maintenance – Planning and doing the basic maintenance on equipment.
- Troubleshooting – Figuring out what is causing equipment, machines, wiring, or computer programs to not work.
- Education: High School Diploma or Equal
- Experience: None
- Training: 1 to 12 Months - On The Job
- Mechanical – Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction – Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Information Ordering – Ordering or arranging things.
- Manual Dexterity – Holding or moving items with your hands.
- Near Vision – Seeing details up close.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness – Keeping your arm or hand steady.
- Problem Sensitivity – Noticing when problems happen.
- Oral Expression – Communicating by speaking.
- Control Precision – Quickly changing the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat.
- Visualization – Imagining how something will look after it is moved around or changed.
Clicking on a link below will provide you with a list of associated and presorted companies for this current pathway by their industry term.
- Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing
- Aircraft Engine and Parts Manufacturing
- Aircraft Manufacturing
- Audio and Video Equipment Manufacturing
- Basic Chemical Manufacturing
- Beverage Manufacturing
- Business Support Services
- Cement and Concrete Product Manufacturing
- Clothing and Apparel Manufacturing
- Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- Computer and Peripheral Equipment Manufacturing
- Construction Machinery Manufacturing
- Electrical Equipment and Appliances Manufacturing
- Electromedical and Control Instruments Manufacturing
- Food Manufacturing
- Furniture Manufacturing
- Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Manufacturing
- Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing
- Magnetic and Optical Media Manufacturing
- Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Metal Products Manufacturing
- Miscellaneous Chemical Manufacturing
- Miscellaneous Manufacturing
- Miscellaneous Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Motor Vehicle Manufacturing
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
- Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
- Paint, Coating, and Adhesive Manufacturing
- Paper Product Manufacturing
- Petroleum Product Manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Rubber and Plastic Product Manufacturing
- Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- Ship and Boat Building
- Synthetic Chemical Manufacturing
- Textile Manufacturing
- Tobacco Production
- Weapons and Ammunition Manufacturing
- Wood Product Manufacturing
Pathway Job Market and Predictions - ConnecticutFuture Job Opportunities: Very Likely
Annual Projected Job Openings
Annual Projected Job Openings